Sponsorship

Talk about Matt! Share your articles, photos, and stories about Matt here.

Moderators: 17 Fan in VA, CharlieWithAnR, TigerUSA, Special K 17+3

Sponsorship

Postby Idaho Fan » Mon May 23, 2016 1:49 pm

Idaho Fan
Field Filler

Re: Sponsorship

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

Yeah, this blows, but it sounds like they have a new sponsor lined up already. It will be announced next month. I hope it's Stanley/Dewalt, but any good sponsor would be welcomed. I take it JGR was not blindsided by the news today of Dollar General getting out of Nascar after this year. I read that DG's former CEO stepped down last year .. I think he was a big nascar fan. I take it the new regime wanted to spend their advertising dollars differently. It's hard to blame them with Nascar ratings continuing to the drop. This all sucks for Matt, but at least it sounds like they have something lined up already for 2017, and hopefully beyond. Here's some articles about it .. the last one is particularly informative.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/ ... ment-17357

http://espn.go.com/racing/nascar/cup/st ... in-sponsor

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Dail ... neral.aspx
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Marissa » Mon May 23, 2016 3:51 pm

Wow, that's a kick in the gut and totally unexpected. I had forgotten that the CEO that Matt was so friendly with had retired. I guess the new one doesn't care for racing. I hate that Matt has to go through this again.
Marissa
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Mon May 23, 2016 4:15 pm

Yeah .. I really thought Dollar General was more than happy with their alliance with JGR and Matt. I wasn't aware that the CEO of DG retired last May. I think we are lucky we had DG commited for this 2016 season, or they would have pulled out sooner. I think the CEO change is what obviously prompted the shift in advertising philosophy.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby wibadgervbfan » Mon May 23, 2016 4:35 pm

And at least it is still fairly early this season, to give them plenty of time to line something up for next year.
wibadgervbfan
Has Been

Postby Wendell » Tue May 24, 2016 1:15 pm

I guess I'm the only one that's happy about this. DG is putting many of the small businesses that have been able to survive Walmart out of business. It will be nice to have Matt sponsored by a company I can support again (I hope!).
New team, new year, new attitude. I feel a Championship coming on!!!
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Tue May 24, 2016 7:25 pm

Not sure of the validity of this .. probably just rumor, but I'd love to see Stanley/Dewalt up their sponsorship with Matt for years to come.

Jim Noble ‏@Noble_Jim
Lee Spencer tells @SiriusXMNASCAR expect Mobil 1 and Stanley to make up some of '17 sponsor void after today's Dollar General/JGR departure
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Wendell » Tue May 24, 2016 11:56 pm

That would be great!
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Marissa » Wed May 25, 2016 8:25 am

I'd be surprised if Stanley takes more than 5 races with their sponsorship of Edwards. Mobil1 would be neat, but their paint schemes are so bland. I always loved the DG colors because no other car on the track looked like Matt's. He really stood out. I'm going to miss it. :(
Marissa
Legend

Postby MK_comeback » Wed May 25, 2016 10:58 am

I would've liked the DG paint scheme reversed (mostly black). I too would like to see Mobil 1, more DeWalt would be nice as well. It's always about money.
MKC
MK_comeback
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed May 25, 2016 11:08 am

I was pretty keen on Dollar General as well. I like the colors .. like the stores .. actually own their stock as well. I was hoping that would be a great partnership for a long time. When it comes to Stanley/Dewalt .. it could be that they wanted to be affiliated with Matt, but it had to be broken up between two drivers since Dollar General was primary for a super huge 30 races. That only left 6 races. I think they currently split 6 between Matt and Carl. Carl gets the Stanley car .. Matt the Dewalt. All 12 could go to Matt next year, with maybe Mobil 1 picking up the rest. One good thing is that JGR seems to do a great job in acquiring sponsorship. I'm sure Matt will have good sponsorship when it's all said and done.

When stuff like this happens I always get nervous about Matt being the old dawg with those new dawgs nipping at his heels (Jones, and Suarez), but recently Coach Gibbs came out and said Matt was solid, and that he no announcement was needed. Sounded to me like Matt could race for JGR for several more seasons. My hunch is that JGR was not blindsides by the Dollar General news, and have been preparing for this for quite a while. So, I don't think this news affects Matt's racing future. Some suspect the Jones could wind up at Furniture Row as a teammate to Truex Jr. next year. I don't think Suarez is ready for cup yet, but Jones is knocking on the door. Gibbs may ask him to stay down one more year, but he appears pretty close to being ready for the big show. I think JGR and FRR are now pretty much once big race team, so maybe Denny or even Matt moves over there at some point? Lots of options I suppose. I'm hopeful that Matt is allowed to race for a quality team for as long as he wants to keep going. Sounded to me like he might stick with it until age 50 or so. I think he's still on top of his game. His performance at Dover was exceptional.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Wendell » Sun May 29, 2016 6:10 pm

It would not be a surprise to see FRR expand next year and I would think Jones would be the likely driver.

But, if not for sponsorship issues and hurt feelings, if I were Joe Gibbs I'd want to move Hamlin next year and Edwards or Busch the next so that'd he'd have Matt there to tutor Jones and Suarez.
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:15 pm

We wound up correct .. Erik Jones to Furniture Row for at least next season. The big news for Matt this week is that he got the 'Tide Ride' for Darlington. It sounded like there could be a protential partnership brewing between JGR and Tide's owner, Procter & Gamble. That would be a huge score for Matt. Matt is already being featured in a promo commercial with former Tide Ride driver, Darryl Waltrip. The car looks awesome, so lets hope for a great showing at Darlington in a couple weeks.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/201 ... acing.html

https://twitter.com/JoeGibbsRacing/stat ... 6987670529
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby nascar17mattfan » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:06 am

I would love to see Matt in the "Tide Ride" multiple times in 2017, I have a million (exaggerating) yellow die-casts, probably more than I am willing to admit, and would love to expand my collection with a few Orange, raced win cars, and a Championship car as well ......
nascar17mattfan
NewBee

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:54 pm

Has anybody heard anything further about 2017 sponsorship? All I know as of right now is that DeWalt will be the primary sponsor for 15 races this year. Beyond that I am not sure Matt is fully funded this year. I did notice that there was a Tide Pods sticker fairly prominently shown (back side quarter panel) on the new DeWalt car JGR trotted out a week or two ago, so hopefully they are back for several more races. Nothing has been announced, but they wouldn't have a sticker in the 2017 car if they didn't have at least something going on with them. I'd love to see them fill a major roll in the sponsorship puzzle for Matt. It's an iconic name in nascar for sure.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby valhalla » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:22 pm

Kenseth & Packers wrote:Has anybody heard anything further about 2017 sponsorship? All I know as of right now is that DeWalt will be the primary sponsor for 15 races this year. Beyond that I am not sure Matt is fully funded this year. I did notice that there was a Tide Pods sticker fairly prominently shown (back side quarter panel) on the new DeWalt car JGR trotted out a week or two ago, so hopefully they are back for several more races. Nothing has been announced, but they wouldn't have a sticker in the 2017 car if they didn't have at least something going on with them. I'd love to see them fill a major roll in the sponsorship puzzle for Matt. It's an iconic name in nascar for sure.

I'm looking for news as well.

They haven't listed anything yet.
I really hope this isn't Matt's final year at Jgr. Maybe a swap with Jones next year? Or frr adds a third car? Matt is the old man at the track now, but still winning and pushing for a spot at homestead every year.

I'm not ready to quit watching nascar yet. I hope coach gets something lined up.
valhalla
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:51 pm

I saw a Matt Kenseth facebook post today ... they were loading up the hauler for Daytona & The Clash. The first car in was the #20 DeWalt, and 2nd car in was the #20 Interstate Batteries, which looks to be his Clash ride. Hopefully between Interstate and Tide Pods, and whoever else Matt will be fully sponsored.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 pm

Tide is on board for 3 races as primary sponsor. I think that puts Dewalt at 15, and Tide at 3 when it comes to primary sponsorship. I wonder who will fill those other 18 starts?
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:19 pm

Matt picked up another primary sponsor today ... Peak Antifreeze will be on board as primary for two races, and associate sponsorship in other races. It's a multi year deal as well. Peak debuts this weekend with the #20 car. I think when it comes to Primary Sponsorship Matt is covered for 20 of 36 races. I think there still may be another one to be announced soon. Joe Gibbs commented a week or two ago that he had two new sponsors lined up and would be making announcements within the month.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Return to All Matt, All The Time