Kenseth leaving Gibbs at end of 2017 season

Talk about Matt! Share your articles, photos, and stories about Matt here.

Moderators: 17 Fan in VA, CharlieWithAnR, TigerUSA, Special K 17+3

Re: Kenseth leaving Gibbs at end of 2017 season

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:43 am

steveegg wrote:
The Farm & Fleet relationship ended when Matt went to Gibbs and the Home Depot car. Of course, Home Depot departed the scene a few years back, so.... F&F would be only a 1-race deal at Chicagoland because they only have stores in Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa.

Well now would be the perfect time for them to expand! I knew they were just midwest, but didn't realize it was just three states. If we could get them into Missouri/Kansas, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, and Michigan we might have something .. haha.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby buckyfastdraw » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:59 am

Remember what all us 'Golden Years' people like to say, "Keep some levity, folks." ;)
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Postby steveegg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:18 am

Meanwhile, Barney Visser is saying that "if" he has sponsorship for the 77, he'd like to keep that team going, but that he will not run the team out of his pocket.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Wendell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:53 am

I'm starting to lose hope. Really thought something would work out but the music's ending and we are several chairs short.

I would much rather have Matt retire than be a field filler but hard to watch your driver not be wanted.
New team, new year, new attitude. I feel a Championship coming on!!!
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Wendell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am

Stating cases for Kurt Busch, Matt Kenseth and Kasey Kahne to race in 2018 http://es.pn/2un9J7y
via @ESPN App http://es.pn/app
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:23 am

steveegg wrote:Meanwhile, Barney Visser is saying that "if" he has sponsorship for the 77, he'd like to keep that team going, but that he will not run the team out of his pocket.

Does Barney have an active sales group that is out there continually on the hunt for sponsors? If he does there's a decent chance Matt could be a fit there. If he doesn't really have a strong sales staff and is dependent on drivers bringing in their own sponsorship then Matt is probably not a fit. I would think you could sell sponsorship around Matt Kenseth, but some outfits are better and more prepared for that than others.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:41 am

That I don't know.

The word out of the Hendrick presser officially introducing William Byron in the 5 is that Hendrick is working on getting Kasey Kahne in a Hendrick-affiliated Cup ride next year. Assuming that is GMS (moving up to Cup), that would all but ensure either the 13/27 or 77 don't return in 2018.

Worse, if GMS is a 2-car operation, both Chidress and Visser will dump their "extra" charters. Early retirement, here we come :(

Edit - It would almost certainly be a new team, even if GMS isn't moving up. The closest, and only, thing that Hendrick has to a satellite team now that Stewart-Haas went to Fords is an engine agreement with Ganassi, which supposedly has no openings.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Good article .. Barney trying hard to land sponsorship. Mentioned that Truex doesn't not make the kind of salary as the top guys. Said all Truex asked was that he given the equipment to run up front. I wonder if Matt would take a cut for a similar opportunity. I think he might.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/ ... something/
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Marissa » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

steveegg wrote:...he'll probably just not show up at Daytona and everybody who notices will say, "Where's Matt?"

Wow, that made me sad.
Marissa
Legend

Postby Wendell » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Kenseth & Packers wrote:Good article .. Barney trying hard to land sponsorship. Mentioned that Truex doesn't not make the kind of salary as the top guys. Said all Truex asked was that he given the equipment to run up front. I wonder if Matt would take a cut for a similar opportunity. I think he might.

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/08/09/ ... something/
I would think at this point if he wants to drive next year he has no choice.

Is the only real, good option at this point the 41?
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:16 pm

Gallagher Racing with an announcement tomorrow. Probably Kasey Kahne to man one of their cars with young Spencer Gallagher to man the other .. just guessing.

GMS Racing @GMSRacingLLC
Big announcement tomorrow morning at 10 AM ET. Make sure to stay tuned for more on our social handles. #NASCAR #WeAreGMS
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 pm

Kenseth & Packers wrote:Gallagher Racing with an announcement tomorrow. Probably Kasey Kahne to man one of their cars with young Spencer Gallagher to man the other .. just guessing.

GMS Racing @GMSRacingLLC
Big announcement tomorrow morning at 10 AM ET. Make sure to stay tuned for more on our social handles. #NASCAR #WeAreGMS

If that's the case, say good-bye to the 13/27 AND 77 possibilities.

I can see Aric Almirola taking his Smithfield sponsorship to the 10 (which moves Bubba Wallace to the 43), Cole Custer being promoted to the 41, and everything closing up by this time next week. I can only hope that Matt will be allowed to take a retirement lap at Homestead.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:08 pm

Most don't seem to think Spencer Gallagher is even remotely ready for a cup ride, so perhaps they are in the market for a veteran like Matt to help get their program off to a strong start. Hendrick is reportedly working to get Kahne a ride .. has to pay him for next season since he cut him loose with a year left on his deal. Hendrick has ties to GMS. Kahne will probably be 1 of the GMS drivers. Maybe Matt will get to warm a seat for a few years .. doubtful, but we shall see
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:03 am

The "big" GMS announcement was Spencer Gallagher's XFINITY throwback scheme. Everything Cup-wise is still in a holding pattern.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:26 am

Hahaha .. what a let down. They totally teased us.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Marissa » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 am

Kenseth & Packers wrote:Most don't seem to think Spencer Gallagher is even remotely ready for a cup ride, so perhaps they are in the market for a veteran like Matt to help get their program off to a strong start. Hendrick is reportedly working to get Kahne a ride .. has to pay him for next season since he cut him loose with a year left on his deal. Hendrick has ties to GMS. Kahne will probably be 1 of the GMS drivers. Maybe Matt will get to warm a seat for a few years .. doubtful, but we shall see

No way a new team pays for Kahne AND Matt.
Marissa
Legend

Postby mustanger » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:24 pm

I still think Matt's best shot right now is SHR, or perhaps RCR. Regardless, it sounds like he will take a sizable pay cut if he wants to continue racing...

The fact that he doesn't have a sponsor following him around has to be the biggest hurdle. If you look at the people who have signed this year, almost all of them have brought money to the table.
mustanger
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Stewart-Haas is looking far less likely. Via Bob Pockrass:
Stewart-Haas Racing co-owner Gene Haas said the organization is still looking for sponsors for Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick next year. Haas: "We fully expect to have Kurt Busch back in the 41. It's just a matter of negotiating with the sponsor and getting all the details worked out as far as money amounts. I know it causes a lot of anxiety." On Danica Patrick, Haas said: "I still think she has a lot of value. If a sponsor wants to sell product, she's great at that."

In short, the 41 isn't an option, and Matt is at least 3rd in the pecking order for the 10 behind Patrick and whoever between Aric Almirola and Bubba Wallace doesn't end up in the 43.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Wendell » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:32 pm

I just came on to post this. These were the last decent options.

I really can't believe Matt's career is going to end like this. :(
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:08 pm

Wendell wrote:I just came on to post this. These were the last decent options.

I really can't believe Matt's career is going to end like this. :(

I think we are down to our last few races of Matt in Nascar. I was hoping he'd be able to land a top car, but all the tea leaves seem to point to him being forced out. Nascar is a financial loser right now, and sponsors are paying way less than just a few years ago. Drivers are getting less than ever. If there's no good offers then just walk away. I'm done when he's done ... don't really have any other drivers I want to follow after Matt hangs up the fire suit.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to All Matt, All The Time