Kenseth leaving Gibbs at end of 2017 season

Talk about Matt! Share your articles, photos, and stories about Matt here.

Moderators: 17 Fan in VA, CharlieWithAnR, TigerUSA, Special K 17+3

Re: Kenseth leaving Gibbs at end of 2017 season

Postby Wendell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:26 pm

The Orange Cone predicted Matt to the 77.
New team, new year, new attitude. I feel a Championship coming on!!!
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby steveegg » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:48 pm

Regarding the 77, it's going to be 1 of 3 things (in decreasing order of likeliness):

- The 77 won't be racing in 2018, with the charter sold to Penske (I'm assuming the 16 RFR charter is sold to the Wood Brothers).
- Matt in the 77.
- Michael McDowell in the 77, followed shortly by Kasey Kahne in the 95 and an alliance between Levine Family and Hendrick.
steveegg
Legend

Postby steveegg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 am

Regarding the 10 - Matt says he's not the one.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:31 am

77 or Retirement!
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:58 am

Kenseth & Packers wrote:77 or Retirement!

I'm waiting until 2 pm (is it Eastern or Mountain?) to make the semi-official call, but barring a literal last-hour sponsor to keep the 77 open, it's going to be retirement.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:19 pm

Well, both Matt and Kasey say they aren't the guy ... Kasey said he "thinks he knows who the driver is", but that it's not him. He said his ride for next year is basically done. I still am holding out hope for Matt at SHR .. almost seems like he was playing word games with Fryer and Pockrass when he said he wouldn't be Danica's replacement. Could it be that he is going to SHR, but will be driving a car with a different #? I wouldn't put it past Matt to joke that way .. seems fitting for his sense of humor. At the end of the day it might be Aric Almirola, but why wouldn't that have been announced already?
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby MK_comeback » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:46 pm

I may be missing something, but the Almirola to the 10 seems pretty obvious to me. His long time sponsor left RPM to go to SHR and then Danica (SHR) is out with no sponsor and she indicated that there is already a sponsor and driver lined up for the car. Adding to that, RPM announced that Almirola is out of the 43 car. Seems a little odd that with the drivers available right now, Almirola is the guy that lands a big ride, but it's all about sponsorship (money) right now.

I guess it really will just be a matter of Matt pulling together sponsorship for a full season. I would guess DEWALT would pony up for some races. I'm not sure how many they did this season probably 10 or so. Where will the rest come from? Sadly, I don't see it. I really hope to be wrong.

BTW... The media seems to be singling these drivers out as being the problem as far as attracting sponsorship, but to say that is not either lying or not paying attention. Go look at ratings charts for NASCAR over the last 10 years and isn't pretty. NASCAR has, for the most part, been moved to 2nd and 3rd tier cable channels and that won't get better with ratings dropping. Because of that, NASCAR continues to turn to gimmickry with the Chase and stages who knows what is next. So, if you are in the media advertising department of a company, how would you convince yourself (or your bosses) to drop big money on a driver and car in NASCAR? They're not, they are leaving. Jeff Gordon, of all people, lost DuPont which seems unimaginable.

Now imagine next season without Dale Jr.. Along with that no Danica. You can say what you want about her actual driving skills vs the elite drivers, but she has a big following and quite a few NASCAR purists will miss Matt Kenseth whether a fan or not since he's a link to the Winston Cup days and it will seem strange not having him out there lurking around the top 5 every race. I know if Matt isn't racing, I will not be following regularly.

Bonus... lol: I would not be shocked if Jimmie Johnson hung it up after this season or declared next season his last. He has nothing to prove and probably sees this ship sinking.

Sorry for being so negative, but I don't like what I'm seeing with this sport. NASCAR is turning the pure sport of auto racing into a contrived farce.
MKC
MK_comeback
Legend

Postby Wendell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:18 pm

If the 77 is being shut down, why would they announce it today? Seems they still have time to find a sponsor.
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Double post .. see the next one!
Last edited by Kenseth & Packers on Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:30 pm

I think all of Matt's current sponsors are tied to JGR for at least two more years. Matt is truly a man with no sponsorship ... strictly a wheel man who brings nothing to the table other than a great driving resume. He's going to wind up retired because of that, and the changing climate in NASCAR. Truth be told he'd probably be wise just to get out now .. the money isn't going to be what he'd prefer, and sponsorship is getting very difficult to acquire. It sucks, but you can tell by his comments of late he is resigning himself to the fact that he's done at the end of this year. Great career .. hopefully he can shake the racing bug and move on to the next chapter.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby Wendell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 pm

I've been refreshing Twitter ever 5 seconds. What happened to the news conference?!?
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:08 pm

Wendell wrote:I've been refreshing Twitter ever 5 seconds. What happened to the news conference?!?

It was sketchy .. never saw anything from Furniture Row saying they would be making an announcement today. Steveegg seemed to think some news may be coming today as well.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby valhalla » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:26 pm

Matt will end his career like his good friend Greg biffle.

No ride, no announcement. Just suddenly isn't there.

Nascar will miss him.......jgr will miss him......they just don't know it yet.

10 races left in Matt's career. Then I will say goodbye to nascar forever.
valhalla
Legend

Postby buckyfastdraw » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:40 pm

I have had Matt in the #10 car next year for quite some time now. Today Matt said he won't be the driver of the #10. I no longer have any idea what is going on, but I do know that NASCAR and NBC are getting into the deep financial waters and lots of seemingly crazy things will happen until or unless NASCAR rights the ship. Of course, with Mister Magoo at the helm, I suspect the ship has already taken on too much water. Maybe Matt will move back to Wisconsin before he gets too old to shovel snow, eh? :duck:
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Postby steveegg » Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:43 pm

With no new official news out of Furniture Row, and it being after 2 pm Mountain, guess it's time to refresh the Silly Season team chart, Matt edition:

* The 1 at Ganassi - Not happening - Chip Ganassi said that, despite the last renewal for Jamie McMurray being after the 2013 season, there will be no changes at Chip Ganassi Racing.
* The 2 at Penske - Not happening - Brad Keselowski wanted back, Roger Penske wanted him back, MillerCoors came back; so the whole gang is back.
* The 5 (now 24) at Hendrick - Not happening - Rick Hendrick wasn't quite as loyal to Kasey Kahne as I thought he would be, especially since Kahne made the playoffs after my first look, but he is loyal to his organization. The ride went to his newest young gun, William Byron, and the number dance Hendrick is putting him on makes this team the new 24 (and Chase Elliott's team the 9).
* The 10 at Stewart-Haas - Not happening - It turns out Danica Patrick wasn't marketable enough because Smithfield Foods rejected her along with Richard Petty Motorsports. With Matt (and Kahne) both saying they're not her replacement, it's most likely going to be Aric Almirola.
* The 21 at Wood Brothers - Never was happening - Penske/Wood Brothers is now a 4-car team, with Paul Menard and Menard's bringing the money (mostly) here.
* The 27 at Childress - Open but sponsorless - Penske really opened up the ride, complete with no sponsor. It's so open that Ty Dillon, Richard Childress' grandson, is staying at the Germain Racing 13. With GMS Racing not coming to Cup, unless the BK Racing 23 and the Furniture Row 77 both come back, Childress will either have to run the team out of his pocket (which I don't think he has the money to do) or the bottom really falls out on the charter market.
* The 37 at JTG Daughtery Never was happening - Chris Buescher is back, and they have a charter of their own...not from Roush-Fenway (from where they leased one this year).
* The 41 at Stewart-Haas - Technically an open seat, but not really - Still no news on whether Monster Energy is renewing their half-season sponsorship or whether Kurt Busch is still a free agent (his 2018 option wasn't picked up), but this isn't happening. If Busch isn't back, SHR prodigy Cole Custer is most likely to get the seat.
* The 43 at Petty - Technically an open seat, but not really, and now filled if the team still exists - Richard Petty Motorsports is going to need to go to plan B with the very-messy departure of Smithfield Foods and Aric Almirola (the latter might be slightly less messy), and they already said that if there was room, it would be for Darrell Wallace Jr. Update - if the team is around, Wallace will be driving.
* The 44 at Petty - Dead, dead, dead - I'm almost certain this is where the 37 got their permanent charter.
* The 77 at Furniture Row - On life support, er, dead - Fresh reports are saying that, barring a last-hour sponsor, this team is 1-and-done. Update - The charter has been sold as of late-evening 9/14.
* The 88 at Hendrick - Not happening - Alex Bowman is here, and Nationwide is back.

So there's 2 driverless (and sponsorless) rides (one of which is guaranteed to go away if there continues to be no sponsor)...er...1 driverless/sponsorless ride because the other went away due to a lack of sponsorship, 3 (4 if Cole Custer is put in the 41) unemployed drivers, and Matt is the most-expensive one who also brings no primary sponsors to the table. If Matt were an owner, he could have seen the trend coming and beat Dale Earnhardt Jr. to the retirement line. On the other hand, the Jr. Retirement Party isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.

Edit - Things only get worse if Kahne lands at the Levine Family Racing 95. That puts an even-cheaper Michael McDowell on the market.

Edit 2 (9/15) - The 77 charter has been sold.

Edit 3 (9/15) - The 43 has the expected driver, if not a sponsor.
Last edited by steveegg on Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Wendell » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:13 pm

It must've been even weirder being a Kahne fan today. One report stating he knew where he was going and it just needed to be finalized and the other reporting he had no idea what was going to happen and was looking into Indy Car.
Wendell
TV Commentator

Postby steveegg » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:24 am

Questions/answers regarding 2018 from yesterday's Playoff Media Day:
Q) Have you made any progress on your plans for next year?
KENSETH: "I'm really worried about the next 10 weeks. I mean, the next 10 weeks will probably have enough problems to worry about without, you know, worrying about anything three or four months from now. So, no, I don't really have anything for you there."

Q) Should we consider you a candidate to replace Danica?
KENSETH: "No, nope. It's not me. I can tell you that, it's not me."

Q) Is it a good thing to just let it sort of settle because you don't know what will come up?
KENSETH: "Yeah, are you talking about next year again? Yeah, I mean, obviously they didn't keep me where I was at, which would have been my first choice. There's been a few other rides that were open that were good rides that got filled with other people. So, you know, I don't really know at this minute what's going to happen for next season. Like I said, I got 10 weeks to worry about trying to hopefully be in contention, try to win another championship, win some races. It's been a long time since I've been in Victory Lane. That's really on the top of my mind, is trying to get that done."...

Q) Anything for next year at this point? Are you looking, talking, signing deals?
KENSETH: "No, nothing really to report there. I mean, honestly I know I keep saying this, but it's true. I'm just focused on the next weeks. We got a good opportunity here still. So I don't know what's going to happen in 2018. But there's a lot to worry about yet in 2017 with 10 races to go, being in the Playoffs. Really that's my focus right now."

Q) You're okay with calling 2017 your final season if that happens?
KENSETH: "I didn't say that either. But I've said all along, I've done things I never dreamed I would have a chance to do. I never even thought I'd have a chance to race in the Cup Series full time before. I've been able to do that these years, have that success. I said 10 years ago if it all had to end that day, it was more than I ever dreamed of. It certainly has been way more than I ever dreamed of. Who knows what's going to happen next year. Like I said, I don't really have anything for you at this time."
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:50 am

The best bet now is just to go out and win a race and try to get deep into these playoffs. I have a hard time thinking a guy that takes this down to the final weeks with championship hopes won't be attractive to other teams. Perhaps all the open seats will be filled up by then, but maybe Matt's success would lead to a current driver getting the boot from his existing team. You never know .. could happen. Either way .. we've got a shot to watch Matt run some playoff races. I'll be at Chicagoland Speedway this weekend, so perhaps Matt can deliver a victory .. one I can witness in person.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby wld427 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:39 am

Here is a thought.....

SHR has several entangling ownerships of the 4 cars. There are several minor investors in each ride, not just Tony Stewart and gene Haas....

Smithfield wants more performance.... Kurt Busch to the 10 with Smithfield and Monster.... Matt in the 41 with Haas automation and some other minor partners. It has always been said Gene Haas funds almost the entire 41 car out of his pocket. Rumor was he set up that team just for Kurt. He also doesn't like to let drivers he is fond of flounder.....

would explain Matt's comments. Also JGR is one of those teams like Roush. They have to reach a certain threshold within the season before Matt would be allowed to even admit to talking to other teams.
wld427
NewBee

PreviousNext

Return to All Matt, All The Time