Kenseth leaving Gibbs at end of 2017 season

Talk about Matt! Share your articles, photos, and stories about Matt here.

Moderators: 17 Fan in VA, CharlieWithAnR, TigerUSA, Special K 17+3

Re: Kenseth leaving Gibbs at end of 2017 season

Postby steveegg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:22 pm

I've seen his Twitter feed (his work is all behind a paywall). The Toyota bit seems to be more wild speculation than anything else because nobody else has picked it up, and the Motorsport interview where the FRM flack is fresh (or at least post-Richmond).
steveegg
Legend

Postby Idaho Fan » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Idaho Fan
Field Filler

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:51 pm

The #77 is done for.

Jeff Gluck @jeff_gluck
From the inbox: Furniture Row Racing confirms the team will not field the 77 next year, but hopes to be two cars again in the future.
12:10 PM - Oct 11, 2017
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:15 pm

More dirt on the grave (or are we already to the pave-over portion?) - Brendan Poole is expected to jump up to Cup in the RCR 27 next year, with his departure from Ganassi's Xfinity program already announced. Jayski has Poole potentially bringing sponsor DC Solar with him in his 2018 team chart.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh yeah .. we are at the pave-over portion. Matt is done .. I don't see any way he races unless he's willing to accept pennies on the dollar from what he's used to receiving .. and even at that he doesn't bring sponsorship with him. I bet he's already resigned himself to the fact that this is the end and will transfer just fine to full time family life. It's been a great career .. nothing else to really prove. I'd love to see him get to Homestead with a chance to win the title .. that would be an awesome way to wrap things up.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby buckyfastdraw » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:43 am

I hope he makes it to Homestead, but with JGR putting him 4th on the list for best car every week and without bad luck he wouldn't have any this year, I think his chances for that are no better than his chances for a decent ride next year.
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Postby steveegg » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:00 pm

Update on the Poole situation - CGR co-owner Felix Sabantes expects Poole back in their Xfinity program next year. For his part, Poole is neither confirming nor denying anything.
steveegg
Legend

Postby wibadgervbfan » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Bubba is officially in the #43 next year.
wibadgervbfan
Has Been

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:43 pm

Nate Ryan from NBC sports wrote a pretty nice little piece on Matt, and how he'd like to see Matt be able to go out on his own terms. There's an interesting little blurb in there where he mentions that there are whispers that Matt may still land a quality ride if he is willing to take a bit of a pay cut, and give up some at track convieniences .. whatever that means? I wonder if Matt does have some sort of an offer, albeit at a price he probably doesn't really like.

***Though there are whispers he could remain in a competitive ride if willing to compromise on the at-track conveniences and salary commanded by someone of his accomplishment and experience, the fact remains that Kenseth is in a unique situation when compared to retiring peers Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart and Dale Earnhardt Jr. – none of whom were forced into facing such hard choices beyond choosing the year of their last go-round.***

http://nascar.nbcsports.com/2017/10/27/ ... reer-ends/
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:26 am

Stewart, Gordon and Earnhardt all had (and still have) ownership stakes, so they had more foreknowledge than Matt of the shifted economics. They were the first ones out, and to be honest, Earnhardt almost waited too long. Had he waited until, say, July to decide what to do (or if Matt had decided to retire first), that decision would have been made for him just as it was for Matt. Don't forget; this was a contract year for Earnhardt, and at least early in the season, he was negotiating to continue.

Matt's situation isn't quite unique. Other than the Cup title that Matt has that Greg Biffle never got, it's what happened to Biffle after last season. If Monster Energy doesn't renew its partial-season personal sponsorship of Kurt Busch, it's what will happen to Busch with even more suddenness.
steveegg
Legend

Postby buckyfastdraw » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:35 am

Front Row Motorsports is now leaning strongly to Ford, who have sweetened the pot for them, and it looks like they will stay with 2nd tier drivers next year. I believe Matt will be gone from racing in three more weeks, unless he goes to the silly banquet in Las Vegas to formally announce his "retirement". I wouldn't risk my neck in a crappy cup ride if I had already made the kind of money Matt has already made in racing. I think I will be retiring from watching NASCAR about the same time as Matt officially wraps it up. :beer:
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Postby steveegg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:35 pm

steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:43 am

Just rumors and stuff, but I think Matt will get a ride if he wants one and is willing to work for a lot less than he's used too. Rumors seem to focus around Stewart Haas Racing .. maybe with Smithfield as the sponsor. One can dream .. that would be a pretty nice gig.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:13 pm

Speaking of Smithfield/Stewart-Haas, since they settled their feud with Richard Petty Motorsports (a minor presence there next year), they've got an announcement for who drives the Smithfield #10 set for next Wednesday morning.

For those who don't remember, when that ride opened up, Matt was the first one who said, "Not me."
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:39 pm

steveegg wrote:Speaking of Smithfield/Stewart-Haas, since they settled their feud with Richard Petty Motorsports (a minor presence there next year), they've got an announcement for who drives the Smithfield #10 set for next Wednesday morning.

For those who don't remember, when that ride opened up, Matt was the first one who said, "Not me."

Yeah .. I doubt it's Matt going to the #10, but the mention of 'whispers' that Matt could still get a competitive ride if he settled for a lower salary made me think he might have some options. This would be one scenario where Matt would fit in since there is already sponsorship on hand. It just seems hard for me to fathom that if Matt is willing to work for say Aric Almirola dough that he wouldn't be a more attractive driver to SHR. Then again maybe Aric Almirola is so juiced in with Smithfield that he's always been their guy.
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby steveegg » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:34 pm

Kenseth & Packers wrote:Yeah .. I doubt it's Matt going to the #10, but the mention of 'whispers' that Matt could still get a competitive ride if he settled for a lower salary made me think he might have some options. This would be one scenario where Matt would fit in since there is already sponsorship on hand. It just seems hard for me to fathom that if Matt is willing to work for say Aric Almirola dough that he wouldn't be a more attractive driver to SHR. Then again maybe Aric Almirola is so juiced in with Smithfield that he's always been their guy.

That's been the hot rumor all along. Supposedly Smithfield and RPM had a deal, but then RPM wanted to put Bubba Wallace in the 43.
steveegg
Legend

Postby wld427 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:41 am

My last hope was for the 10.... thats out the window.

The 41 is still up in the air but i don't for see any changes there.

I simply cannot believe a driver of Matt's caliber cannot land a good ride.....

I hope France loves what he has built the sport in to.... because now its on its death spiral.
wld427
NewBee

Postby steveegg » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:32 pm

And it's official - Matt's been Biffled. He's taking a "hiatus" next year.
steveegg
Legend

Postby Kenseth & Packers » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:36 am

He gone! Tough way to end it, but hopefully he's fine with the decision and can move on to the next phase of his life .. F.U. Nascar .. I'm gone!
Kenseth & Packers
Veteran

Postby valhalla » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:46 am

:-x :-x :-x

Terrible way to end a career.

Hope he can gab a win at the end, but I kinda doubt it will happen.

Will Texas and homestead do something special for Matt? Or will it all be about jr.?

Going to miss you Matt!! This really sucks
valhalla
Legend

PreviousNext

Return to All Matt, All The Time