Nascar changes bigtime -

To discuss all forms of racing and drivers other than Matt Kenseth

Moderators: CharlieWithAnR, Special K 17+3, dex20

Nascar changes bigtime -

Postby Spike » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:29 pm

wth?

NASCAR's points changes explained

NASCAR races will be divided into three segments in 2017.

NASCAR is making sweeping changes to the formats of races in 2017 and adding more bonus points to the Chase (which is no longer called the Chase, but more on that later) for drivers who succeed in the regular season.

The changes are a bit complicated, so stick with us:

Every Cup Series, Xfinity Series and Camping World Truck Series race will consist of three segments called “stages.” The drivers who finish in the top 10 of each of the first two segments will receive points while the finishing order at the end of the third and final stage will be the race’s finishing order. The winner of the third segment is the race winner and will get 40 points.

Each regular-season race win will be worth five bonus points to start the playoffs.

The first segment will be the first 25 percent of the race while the second segment will be the second 25 percent. Each segment will end with a caution flag. The cautions will give the races predetermined breaks in the action to help Fox and NBC air as many commercials as possible under yellow flag conditions.

(more)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nascar-poi ... 55970.html

----------------------

I imagine this will drive the last of the hardcore fans away :cuss:
Spike
Legend

Re: Nascar changes bigtime -

Postby buckyfastdraw » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:50 pm

I say the TV gang has forced all of these changes and the experience at the track will be much diminished. Have you been to a college football game lately? I can't afford a pro football ticket so I watch college games every other blue moon. You are sitting in the stands in 30 degree weather and all of a sudden the teams just quit playing. You don't realize it until about 2 or 3 minutes of shivering later and then you finally notice that they are down on the field watching a little red light on the scoreboard until it finally goes off. After you make that connection with what is happening, you start watching the little red light after every play in hopes that it does not come on again. Then you realize that the TV gang has altered the game to have 2 minute timeouts after every punt, kickoff, turnover, injury, and every score of any kind. Halftime has been reduced to about 10 minutes, not enough time for even one marching band to finish. But that is plenty of time for the talking heads to exhaust themselves of something to say about the first half and enough time for three more two minute commercial breaks. By the end of the game you are so cold, from sitting in the stands enduring all of this and the non-stop commercials running on the big stadium screen, that you can't wait to leave and get home to warm up. NASCAR is now controlled be the same gang that has never had any interest in whether the ticket buying fans have had some fun, much less any concern about the number of them who show up. But they never stop guessing why the fans don't show up any more. I say, bring back the snow-cone machines, cotton candy, souvenir trailers, and continuous races so fans will show up by the hundreds of thousands again. TV will eventually destroy this sport while trying to guarantee NASCAR and the track owners more money than they would have made by just putting on a great show for the whole family to attend. Good luck, NASCAR, with making the fans in the stands endure all these newest race day tweaks. But hey, Brian France doesn't even have to endure any of the races to get his money now. :cuss:
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Postby Steve Ole Fire Dawg » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:13 pm

The other day I was reading an article about the Chargers moving to La La Land, and the writer mentioned that the tickets are no longer the main source of revenue for the owners in the NFL; the TV money makes them rich before they start...
In my opinion the race going public is last on the list of who they have to care about what they think. As a kid I remember going every summer to both the Indy car and NASCAR races at Michigan. Everyone who walked through the gate received a smile and a thank you for coming...is it still that way?
Steve Ole Fire Dawg
NewBee

Postby Spike » Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Gimmicks don't sell tickets! Haven't they learned that yet?

So will the new advertising segments (mandatory cautions) replace the phantom debris cautions?
Spike
Legend

Postby buckyfastdraw » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:53 am

"So will the new advertising segments (mandatory cautions) replace the phantom debris cautions?" Maybe for a few weeks. After that, the 5 minute commercial breaks for debris cautions will return, I am sure.
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Postby buckyfastdraw » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:02 am

I sure wish NASCAR had not decided to be a TV sport! Money is king for losers who never will understand that being productive is how we all get rich. Brian France will drink himself to death before he figures anything out anyway. :ticked:
buckyfastdraw
Has Been

Return to Tailgate Party